A warming winter recipe much like a Shepherd's Pie but with sweet, buttery pumpkin slices instead of mashed potato. Pumpkin is rich in antioxidants, such as alpha-carotene, beta-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin and lutein and zeaxanthin. These antioxidants support your immune system, improve eye health, and lower inflammation.
- 250grams pastured pork mince
- 250grams pastured beef mince
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaf
- season with natural salt & freshly cracked pepper
- 2-3 cups pumpkin, thinly sliced
- extra olive oil to drizzle over pumpkin
Add oil to a cast iron pan (oven proof) on medium heat. Add onions, shallots and garlic and sauté until transparent. Add carrots and celery and sauté for 3 minutes. Add minced meats and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir through tomatoes, tomato paste, dried herbs & spices and season with salt & pepper. Arrange sliced pumpkin over the mixture, season with extra salt and pepper and a good drizzle of olive oil. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes on medium heat.
Serve with steamed greens or a salad.